Sunday, August 21, 2011

Genesis 4:26.

Firstly, I just want to post this because I want all of you to know that I am trying to read through Genesis this semester (hopefully with footnotes). I want to post it here so that I will be more committed. Any of you can come up and ask me if I've read or not anytime this semester. Actually, please do ask me if you noticed I haven't been sharing anything on it for a while.



So (I know I always say "so" but oh well), I just finished reading chapter 7, the part about Noah and the ark. But I want to go back to chapter 4 verse 26. The verse says, "And to Seth also a son was born, and he called his name Enosh. At that time men began to call upon the name of Jehovah."

The name Enosh means frail, mortal man. Enosh is the third generation of mankind, and since then man had been calling on the Lord's name! This shows that man realized they are frail and weak. In their weakness, they called on Jehovah, the eternal One. By calling on His name, man is brought into God's riches and strength.

In Romans 10:12-13, the verses says, "...for the same Lord is Lord of all and rich to all who call upon Him. For whoever calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." Therefore, calling on the Lord's name is not only the secret to our salvation but also to our enjoyment to His riches (ft 131).

I was so amazed and encouraged once again when I read this. We HAVE to call on His name to enjoy His riches. O Lord Jesus thank You that Your name is so sweet and available for us to call on anytime!

2 comments:

  1. The footnote on Acts 2:21 talks about calling on the Lord all throughout the Bible. It's insane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, to second @Leon's comment, that footnote in Acts 2:21 goes through the whole Bible and points out that all kinds of people called on the name of the Lord, including shepherds, kings, prophets, judges, patriarchs, random people, pagan people(like Balaam), etc - and in the New Testament, the believers were "spotted" or recognized by Saul(before he became Paul) by their genuine and pure calling,

    O Lord Jesus!

    Amen, I'm so glad we can be those who call on the name of the Lord out of a pure heart!

    ReplyDelete