Saturday, December 17, 2011

Singapore Tourists: So, How Does Frog Meat Tastes Like?


As you have seen our hotel room on my previous post (link), obviously we couldn’t sleep well when we had to be laid like sardines on the beds. The stick figures on the picture makes it look like there’s plenty of space for us on the beds, but in reality, we could even barely move. Regardless of our sleeping situation, we still have to continue with our adventure. 

Line for taxi, didn't move an inch for 30 minutes.

Sadly, I don’t know what is up with modern transportation against me this break, but the MRT’s Red Line (the main line I had to get on) was broken that day. We had to go down at Toa Payoh. It was crazy… All of the passengers got off the MRT and queued for the free shuttle buses. It was too crazy, that KL and I think we should just get a taxi. However, there was a really long line for the taxi but no taxis on sight. All of the taxis passing by were ‘on call’ or ‘hired’. Thus, we have to think of a back plan. We called our friend DC, who was waiting for us in Chinatown already, to get on a taxi and get us from Toa Payoh. Luckily, DC got a taxi and picked us up not too long afterwards.


KL has been craving for frog porridge. So we went to Tiong Shian Claypot Frog Porridge in Chinatown to get it. We ordered a plate of raw fisg, a bowl of porridge with frog meat, a bowl with century eggs, and a bowl with (cooked) fish. I guess most of you have heard about century eggs, but frog meat? Yes, we Asians eat everything. It has been a couple of years since I ate frog meat, so I was a little bit grossed out in the beginning. DC convinced me to eat it, she told me it tastes like chicken. So how does it really tastes like? I would say that it tastes like fish and chicken combined, it's soft but not as soft as alligator meat (for you that ate it before).  So here's a few pictures of the food we ate:
I'm not sure what kind of fish it is. KL totally loved it.
Claypot Frog Porridge. Don't worry, it tastes much better than it looks.
Fish Porridge. It's pretty good, but I don't think it tastes that special.

I think I should stop here because this post is getting pretty long. So, stay tuned for my trip in Chinatown on my next post. But let me show you a preview on Chinatown with the following picture.

Chinese Snake Wine.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this food is very interesting! Ahhh Chinese Snake Wine!?! I hope they don't eat the snake along with the wine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Frog Porridge was actually very good. Loaded with ginger.

    ReplyDelete