Saturday, January 14, 2012

Singapore Tourists: And That's How KL Sees It

This is the first time I have a guest blogger. I asked KL to write on Chinese Heritage Center since I didn't get to go in. So here it goes, enjoy and also don't forget to check out her blog here.

I’m Chinese so this Chinese Heritage Center in Singapore was indeed quite impactful.
The cost was $10 (Singapore dollars). It was quite expensive compared to the entrance fee to most of the attractions in Singapore. Well, never mind. Scratch that. The $10 cost was definitely worth it.

First, you walked into this visitor hall. The whole building was actually a small townhouse (they actually called it, “shophouse”). Nothing fancy, but I was definitely drawn to enter into the building and rummage through their limited, yet authentic display of random Chinese things on their walls.

So my siblings said they wouldn’t want to pay that much to enter, but there was no way I would miss going into a time machine. I asked our friend, DC, to go in with me.

We got our tickets and walked inside. There were actually two wings in the building. Once you walked pass the first exhibit, you’d see an elevator in front of you and a staircase to the second floor on the right.


Take the staircase. Do not take the elevator (unless you are in need of it).

We made the mistake of taking the elevator straight to the third floor. So yes, we missed the entire right wing of the second floor. Well, I was kind of glad since that be too creepy for me to go through. No, no, I’m not ignorant but just a little bit fainthearted.

So the third floor: right after we got off the elevator, on the right was their burial ceremony display and on the left was an old map of Singapore with their most famous streets, like Smith Street and Banda Street. Each street has its own history. Each has its own hustle and bustle.


The whole exhibition was actually a long corridor with exhibits on your left or right. Almost everything was life-size, which made it very much alive. I honestly hate to spoil the beans because everyone should just go and check out this place themselves.


The place was not that spacious so warning for claustrophobic visitors. Also it was rather dark inside, but I believe that was exactly how the actual living condition of Singaporeans back then.


The place was amazingly furnished. You could learn about their food, traditional market, living spaces, kitchen, water well, restroom, tailor shop, etc. Although much smaller, I would say the Chinese Heritage Center is comparable to Images of Singapore, which is located on Sentosa Island (at Imbah Lookout).





My pen name is simplykl.
Check out my blog: simplykl.wordpress.com
I write on blogging, food-ing, and traveling.



No comments:

Post a Comment